BEWITCHING LAYER CAKE
You will need:
1 package of vanilla cake mix.
1 package of chocolate cake mix.
Black and orange food coloring gel
Basic Frosting (see accompanying recipe)
1. Grease and flour four 9-inch cake pans.
2. In separate bowls, prepare vanilla and chocolate cake mix according to package directions. Add 6 drops of orange coloring gel to the vanilla cake mix and up to a teaspoon of black coloring gel to the chocolate cake mix. Blend well.
3. Pour vanilla and chocolate batters separately into four cake pans and bake according to the package directions; let cool thoroughly.
4. Using plain dental floss cut three of the cooled cakes in half horizontally to create three layers of each color. (The remaining layer can be set aside for use in making Halloween trifles layered with pudding and cream.)
5. Assemble the six layers atop each other, alternating vanilla and chocolate layers, and spread black tinted frosting between each layer. Finish with a final smooth layer of the tinted BasicFrosting (see recipe below).
BASIC FROSTING FOR CAKES
You will need:
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 cup shortening
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon clear artificial vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, combine sugar, shortening, water, and vanilla.
2. Beat on low speed to combine, then beat on medium speed for five full minutes until smooth and creamy. **For Bewitching Layer Cake, add 1-2 teaspoons of black food coloring gel for black frosting.
© Copyright. All rights reserved. Matthew Mead Style