by Matthew Mead from Matthew Mead Halloween
COUSIN HARRY CUPCAKES
Makes 12 regular cupcakes
You will need:
¾ cup sugar
1 vanilla bean
1 ½ sticks (6 ounces) unsalted
3 large eggs, room
1 tablespoon pure vanilla
2 cups sifted cake flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (3 ounces) sour
cream, at room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.
3. Use a paring knife to split the vanilla bean lengthwise, then scrape the seeds into the sugar. Blend on low speed until the seeds are evenly dispersed.
4. Add the butter and beat on medium-high until the mixture is very light—almost white in color; 4 to 5 minutes.
5. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the vanilla extract.
6. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs to the butter mixture about 1 tablespoon at a time, allowing each addition to completely blend in before adding the next.
7. Sift the cake flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and whisk together.
8. With the mixer on low speed, alternate between adding the flour mixture and sour cream, ending with the flour mixture.
9. Fill cupcake liners ¾ full. Bake for approx. 20 minutes.